Karijini Adventure Safari
Duration: 1 night, 2 Full Days
Flight Time: 4.0 Hours
What to bring: Swimwear, Towel, Hat, Sunscreen, Overnight bag (10kg), Hiking shoes, Sunglasses, Camera
Weano Gorge | Hancock Gorge | Dales Gorge | Joffre Gorge | Fortescue Falls | Karijini Eco Retreat
- Depart Broome and track south west over Roebuck Bay marvelling at the beautiful turquoise water.
- As we track coastal southbound for the 80-mile beach where the Great Sandy Desert meets the Indian ocean, pass by Lagrange Bay and the Aboriginal community of Bidyadanga, Anna Plains Station and the Sandfire Roadhouse.
- Pass overhead De Grey River and Marble Bar, a town and rock formation in the Pilbara, also now the hottest place in Australia.
- On approach into Karijini, cross the Mount Newman railway, a private rail network in the Pilbara region of Western Australia built to carry iron ore owned and operated by BHP Billiton.
- On arrival into Karijini airstrip, we are met by our West Oz Active Adventure guide in an air-conditioned 4WD bus. Drive to Karijini Eco Retreat for a bag drop and comfort stop with morning tea.
- Walk to Joffre Gorge Falls and lookout, where water cascades down a cliff face with step-like rocks to a dark pool. The gorge then narrows, and the water is pushed through a smaller gap, where rushing white waters tumble over smooth black rock.
- Return to Karijini Eco Retreat for Lunch.
- After lunch, drive to Weano Recreation Area and walk into Class 5 of Hancock and Weano Gorges. Return to Karijini Eco Retreat via Oxer Lookout and Junction Pool Lookout for Dinner and the evening to relax.
- The following morning after breakfast, we check out and drive to Dales Gorge and walk Dales Loop. Return to bus where a boxed lunch is provided and drive to Karijini Visitor Centre before our departure back to Broome.
- Depart Karijini airstrip for the short flight to Newman for a rest stop and stretch of the legs. Check out the impressive Mt Whaleback open cut mine on approach into Newman.
- Track from Newman north across the Pilbara to Wallal Downs on the coast and enjoy a low-level coastal flight back to Broome via 80-mile beach and the many beautiful bays and beaches whilst the sun sets over the Indian Ocean.
- Breakfast, lunch and evening meals included with light refreshments between meals.
* Participants must be fit and active so that they can enjoy the tour and be able to comfortably sustain up to 10 hours of outdoor activity. You must be agile and confident on your feet as there is a lot of rock hopping on uneven, and sometimes wet ground. You must have good cardiovascular fitness as well as you will be walking down into the deepest part of the gorges and the only way out is to climb back uphill. Don't forget your fitness impacts not only yourself and the guides but also the other members of the tour. We ask that all participants have some swimming ability. Even though personal floatation devices are provided for all participants, you may be submerged under water for a short period of time and will be required to swim across pools by yourself. Unfortunately, you cannot participate in our tour at any stage of pregnancy. Alcoholic beverages are not included in the tour package however can be purchased separately at the on-site restaurant and bar. A selection of non-alcoholic beverages will be available at meal times.